top of page
Bytown Antique & Bottle Club - Members' Private Collections
EBERHARDT & HALM, TORONTO, C.W.
A rare one gallon pre-confederation stoneware jug. This pairing of the potters was in business only from 1863 through to 1865. The C.W. designation was for Canada West (1841-1867) which was the precursor to Ontario.
RED BREASTED MERGANSERS
Pair from Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia. Early 1900's. Repatriated back to Canada through a U.S. auction.
THE GENERAL STORE
Painted by Canadian Folk Artist, Barbara Clark Fleming (born 1939), signed bottom right corner. Acrylic on board, 18.5 wide by 14.5 inches high, including frame, date unknown.
Honey pail from F. A. Wilson Apiary, R. R. 1, Billings Bridge, Ontario. Possibly pre-1950. (Contact us if you know more about this pail.)
PIERRE POULIN & CO
Seven incredible lines describing the items that Pierre Poulin sold. Poulin was a wholesale grocer and supplier of provisions and liquors, in area of Sussex and Clarence Streets in the Ottawa Byward Market, Ontario, 1869.
Redware Pitcher made by William Eby, Conestoga Waterloo County, Ontario, circa 1870.
FOLK ART CAT
Hand carved hard maple cat with a mouse, green glass eyes, 8 inches tall, from the ex-collection of Marjorie Larmon, Burgesville, Ontario.
BRANT GOOSE DECOY
Primitive brant goose decoy used (and likely carved) by Angus MacLeod of French River, Prince Edward Island, circa 1850. This decoy was found in Angus' barn by his great grand nephew Fred MacLeod.
WELDING & SCHULER CROCKS
Salt Glazed 2 Gallon Crocks With Cobalt Blue Floral Designs. Left: William E. Welding, Brantford, Ontario, Stoneware, pre 1867. Centre: Henry Schuler, Paris Stoneware Works, Paris, Ontario, in business from 1873 - 1884, then moved to Brantford, Ontario. Right: William E. Welding, Brantford, Ontario, 1873 - 1894.
A highly decorated hand painted canary teapot, 6 inches tall, British, circa 1800.
PINE & HARDWOOD ARM CHAIR
Original green paint, from Ladysmith, Quebec, circa 1910.
Small pine cupboard for a child, overpaint, Ottawa, Ontario, circa 1870.
HOOKED RUG OF MAPLE SUGAR BUSH
Unknown maker, from Quebec, circa 1960.
FOLK ART CARVING
Carving of horses with load of logs and driver. Done by artist Odessa Belisle, St. Antoine, Quebec, pine and cedar, circa 1960.
OPEN DISH DRESSER
Early grey overpaint, pine, hand forged nails, Carsonby, Ontario, circa 1840.
POCKET WATCH ADVERTISING
J. Leslie, Clock & Watchmaker, Rideau Street, Bytown, Pre-Confederation of Canada, circa 1849.
IMPERIAL STARCH TIN
Company operated 1899-1905. Absorbed by Dominion Starch, along with Edwardsburg Starch, 1906. Located where current Coast Guard building is in Prescott, Ontario.
WILLIAM EBY POTTERY REDWARE JAR
A unique Eby pottery glaze, from Markham, Ontario, 1855-1857.
RENFREW BOTTLING WORKS TIN SIGN
Made by St. Thomas Metal Signs Ltd., St. Thomas, Ontario, circa 1930's.
CANADIAN CARBONATED SYPHON BOTTLES
Alfred Tune, London, Ontario, and Jones Soda Works of Windsor, Ontario, circa early 20 Century.
FOLK ART TROUT
A primitive folk art hand carved wooden trout, from Quebec, 12 inches long, 1st quarter 20th century.
OVAL BURL BOWL
Wooden burl bowl has notched ends, hand carved, circa 1860.
ST. LAWRENCE STARCH COMPANY TIN
St. Lawrence Co. made corn starch in Port Credit, 1890. Corn was ground, starch dried, shipped by horse & wagon to Grand Trunk Rail.
REDWARE FLOWER POT
An unusual green glaze, from Markham Township, Ontario, circa 1875.
From the Devine Estate, Pakenham, Ontario, circa 1850.
WIDDEN PORT PERRY CROCK
T. J. Widden Groceries from Port Perry, Ontario, Brantford Stoneware Company, 3 gallon size, circa 1890.
DAWES BLACK HORSE
Dawes Black Horse Brewery Model, sculpted by Ross Butler, Woodstock, Ontario, 18 inches tall, 2nd quarter 20th century.
Hand forged, iron, 3rd quarter 19th Century.
A collection of 19th Century oil lamps, various colours, patterns and opalescent decorations.
Lidded miniature redware jar, 3 inches tall, Niagara Peninsula, 3rd quarter 19th century.
CHARLES PARKER COFFEE GRINDER
Cast iron, #2 counter top model, from Meriden, Connecticut, USA. The Charles Parker Company was founded in 1832.
PATENT MEDICINE BOTTLES
A colourful collection of embossed early medicine bottles.
Made by the potter Jacob Henry Ahrens, Paris, Ontario, 1860-1892.
WARNER'S SAFE CURE PATENT MEDICINES
From Rochester, New York, USA, circa 1884.
Wooden hand carved, from the estate of the late Jim Curtis, a professor at the University of Waterloo, Ontario, circa 1890.
RARE REDWARE JUG
Made by John Kulp Pottery, Grimbsy, Ontario,1829.
ANGLO SAXON TIN
Henry Newell Bate & brother Charles Thornton arrived in Bytown 1854, established a grocery business Bate & Co. Official food supplier to Governor General. Sir Henry appointed first Chair of Ottawa Improvement Commission by Prime Minister Laurier, 1889. Charles was Mayor of Ottawa, Ontario, 1884.
J. G. ROBINSON & SON STONEWARE
Rare Tea Pot half gallon, Ottawa Kemptville, C. W. Canada West was previously known as Upper Canada, pre-confederation 1841-1867.
BURL BUTTER PADDLES
Centre paddle made and used by indigenous Woodland Natives, circa1800. Outer paddles carved and used by European settlers, circa 3rd quarter of 19th Century.
SNOWFLAKE FLAT FINGER LAMPS
Made by J. H. Hobbs, Brockunier and Company, U.S.A., circa 1880.
Cast iron Boston Terrier Bulldogs, original paint, made by Hubley, 1905-1915. A.R.C. Peden Ginger Beer bottle, Carleton Place, Ontario, circa 1880's.
MECHANICAL APPLE PEELERS
An interesting collection of American apple peelers, circa late 1800's - early 1900's.
RARE UPPER BYTOWN CROCK
Charles Chapman had a market garden & nursery on Bank Street, 5 minutes from Parliament Hill, Ottawa, Ont. Crock was probably used for pickles, circa 1852.
BUTTER STAMP PRINT
Hand carved, high relief, wooden butter press from Quebec, 1875.
STARR BROTHERS GINGER BEER
About May 1, 1858, Alexander formed a new company called A. Starr & Co., Brockville, Ontario, with his 2 sons Gordon & Henry. They sold fruit, oysters, confectionary and general groceries. On Oct. 6, 1860 they dissolved the company. 1858-1860.
LANARK TABLE & NOVA SCOTIA CHAIRS
Lanark County, Ontario table, circa 1820. Nova Scotia chicken coop chairs, circa 1860.
PEACOCK HOOKED RUG
This rug was one of several designs made by sisters, descendants of continental German immigrants to Ayton, Grey County, Ontario, circa 1st quarter of 20th century.
SPATTERWARE COW CREAMER
Hand painted by cloth or sponge, spatterware cow creamer, with a seated milking maid, from Staffordshire district of England, circa 1800.
RED WARE JUGS
A collection of red ware (earthenware) crocks from south western Ontario, possibly Holmesville, circa 1880.
CHIPPENDALE-EMPIRE CHERRY CUPBOARD
Possibly made by Abraham Latschaw, Waterloo County, Ontario, circa 1850.
AMBER BEAVER MASON JAR
Rare amber beaver mason jar. Sold at Maple Leaf Auctions in 2015 for $14, 500. CBC radio host, Giacomo Panico, mentions this jar when he interviews Nick Cameron, great grandson of Moses C. Edey. Edey was a prominent Ottawa architect. Go to the Show Display page to learn about Moses Edey, and listen to the CBC interview link.
APOTHECARY DELFTWARE JAR
English-made tin glazed earthenware apothecary jar. The design is known as “angel with outspread wings” for obvious reasons - the inscription “U. PRO. LABI” is Latin for “Ointment for the Lips,” circa 1700.
VICTORIAN GLASS TUMBLER
Multi-coloured water glass, circa 1880-1885.
DALLEY CONE INK
Handblown Canadian cone ink made by the Hamilton Glassworks, circa mid 1860's to 1880.
bottom of page